Wednesday, October 14, 2009

FTC and Bloggers

I was crushed recently with the news that Gourmet is no more. It's been depressing to watch the passing of newspapers and now, likely, the single best food magazine. Worse, for me personally, has been watching my own local newspaper minimize its James Beard Award winning food section.

It begs the question, who will be the source of writing on seasonal, local, ethical eating and cooking? There are a few bright spots online such as Ethicurean. Sources that play at the national level across issues. But what about my local foodshed?

I would have to guess that some of that local content will be filled in by bloggers. People like me. Thing is, as hard as I try, I can't replace a full time staff of journalists. I do adhere to standards of good research, fact checking and journalistic ethics. But, not all bloggers have that background.

The FTC has moved to close some of that inconsistency. Bloggers are now required to be transparent about any product or service they write about, if that product or service has been provided to them for free. So:

Courtesy of Andrews McMeel Publishing, I will be attending the following event here in our KC area. Spots are still available!

Meet Chef

JOHN BESH

Monday, October 19, 2009

at a four-course dinner at Jasper’s

featuring dishes from

Chef Besh’s first cookbook

My New Orleans

Dinner includes non-alcoholic

drinks and dessert

Alcohol, tax, and gratuity additional

Cost: $75.00; includes a signed copy

of My New Orleans

Reservations: (816) 941-6600


Here's the thing. If I did not want to attend the event, I would not have accepted the offer of the ticket. Besh appears to be one of the chefs that actually walks the walk on local sourcing. I want to find out in person. I want to taste the food. I'll let you know how it goes. If you aren't already going, too.


4 comments:

anita osborn said...

What date?

Tara Light said...

The date is Oct 19

ExpatChef said...

THANK YOU!!!! My poor brain.

KCNapkins Guy said...

So how was this event?