Sunday, April 19, 2009

Seizing the Moment


This little plant is claytonia, or miner's lettuce. I'd never had it before. Which is kind of amazing to be this old and still trying new vegetables. It's a tender little green that likes cold weather, the brief span of weeks between winter and full on spring. It tastes light and fresh, and I can only get it maybe once or twice a year with our seasons. I've never seen it in the store, and if I did, it would not be as good as it is the day it is cut.

Eating local has taught me a lot. It teaches me to live in this moment and enjoy every bit of what is here before it is gone. It also teaches me that longing for something, missing something, like the first blackberries of the season or a fully ripe peach, is part of the process. When that moment comes, you appreciate it more.

At the end of winter, I still have a couple pumpkins left, still good. Some sweet potatoes. It amazes me how nature provides. I mean, we didn't always have refrigerators. I'm pretty sure settlers were really sick of pumpkin by spring, but they didn't go without. Nature makes a lot more sense than we do sometimes.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I understand exactly what you mean by eating local.

We used to live in Venezuela where the local fruits are amazing. It tasted so good, and will never taste as good when you buy them in another country that can only import these kind of fruits.

I loved especially the pineapples and mango's. They were available all year around.

Mango's were falling off the trees. I even saw once a local stopping his car in the middle of the road, and going out to pick up some mango's that were lying on the street.

Sharon