Friday, October 17, 2008

A Healthy Intervention: Carrot-Orange Souffle


So, we spent a week at the beach. I'm still trying to figure out how to fall asleep without salty air and the sound of waves coming from the window. There are more pressing items on my mind, though. Like our diet.

Normally, we eat at home and have a whole lot of control over the food in the house. This trip, with all the family, there was candy, cake, cookies, chips — in abundance all week. I spent a lot of time limiting snacks. Yes, you are "not supposed to" do this, but here in reality, if you don't, that's all the kid would eat for a week. Maybe.

I wondered if all the hard work we have done to raise a good eater was lost. Sunday morning, home from the trip, I made my grocery list and my plan. I would simply make every single favorite vegetable and fruit recipe I could, as quick as I could. The first item I cooked was a batch of kale chips. I set that out along with fresh fruit. Then worked on dinner and a variation of our favorite veggie dish that would be hard to resist.

So far, the plan has worked. My child is back to asking for edamame more often than jellybeans. It's nice to see some of the habits are staying healthy even after a week off.

Carrot Orange Souffle
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

2 comments:

Holly said...

This message is to let you know that your website was linked on the Such Cool Stuff! blog.

Have a great day!

Andrew Abraham said...

Great combination to make a unique souffle... Carrots and Orange...I drink this instead of coffee...all the best..
Thanks
Andy
www.recipebuddys.com