Monday, February 11, 2008

Yes, We Have Bananas

I know, bananas are not exactly falling off the trees here in my part of the world. Neither is anything else resembling fruit in the dead of winter. So, we eat citrus, which is in season at least, and organic bananas. And wait. A long, cold wait for fresh, local berries in June.

I am a bit odd about bananas. I like them just at the point where they are not green any more. After that, I hate the mushy, brown ones. I also hate to waste good food. So, I try to be creative, and lately, indulge my child's new found love of peanut butter, we use the natural kind with no added oils or sugar.

Ginger Banana-Oatmeal Pancakes

Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

This one is posted for the Vegetarian Carnival at Veggie Chic.

3 comments:

lilly said...

I feel the same way about bananas...they taste awful (too sugary) once they get a few brown spots...So, if they're starting to turn & I have more than I'll eat, I peel them & freeze them. A frozen banana makes a great banana fluff smoothie! :)

Rachel said...

I'm with you, too. I like to eat bananas when they're just perfectly yellow and firm. But the soft, brown sugary ones are great for cooking. I also freeze them - when you thaw them, they're nearly perfectly mashed already for cooking.

The pancake recipe is stupendous. I'll give it a go soon!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Bananas and ginger? That's a fantastic pancake recipe! Will definitely have to try it.