Thursday, January 03, 2008

Was it the Black-Eyed Peas?

They say it's good luck to eat black-eyed peas for New Year's. Now that I am on day three of eating them, I'm thinking maybe they are right! Anyone's guess, but a few interesting things are afoot that I seem to be stumbling on.

First, there is my crazy concept for an urban garden/CSA/nutrition center that does the "super supper" kind of ready-made real food for low income families. Well, I stumbled on a revolutionary school and social services campus that will be built in my city. I sent them the idea and offered to help connect them with local resources if they are interested. Maybe it will work, maybe somebody will make it happen. I'd like to see such a program!

Back at the Kid's Cuisine site I blog for, I wrote a review for a new book by two doctors called Food Fights. A great resource for parents. The authors found the review and asked if I would be interested in collaborating on a project with them and Kid's Cuisine. How cool is that?

Now, if my copy of the new Pollan book shows up today, that would be icing on the cake. Maybe we all could use some black-eyed peas.

Black-Eyed Peas and Smoked Ham Hock
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

5 comments:

Carina said...

Congratulations on the potentially exciting news! Hope it works out...

I just visited the Kids Cuisine site though. Twinkie cake? Seriously? I thought it was going to be a satirical article when I read it...turns out it's a good idea to get your kids cooking with 18 Twinkies, Cool Whip and ice cream. Who knew? My stomach hurts just imagining it.

The Expatriate Chef said...

I don't like Twinkies myself. Even when I was a kid!

The site is a mix of authors, even kids who write about cooking and food. So, you get a pretty good mix of food styles as well. I'm there to do book reviews and offer up some recipes and nutrition insight.

Bonnie said...

I think the cooking center is a genius idea. Cooking is the weak link in the revolution, IMHO -- in just a generation we've lost so much basic knowledge of how to do it. I hope you get it going!

Sorina said...

Nice and easy...or fast and easy... this makes me hungry...

rachel said...

good luck with that, B. I think you could be such a force with a local organisation like that.

Thanks for the BEP recipe, too. My mom always made BEP and greens on New Year's Day for good luck. I like my peas with Tobasco for extra kick. Soooooo yummy.