Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Unnecessary Nugget



I am proud to say, the only McDonald's food my kiddo has ever been exposed to was a milkshake in desperation while I was pregnant. We drove a long way looking for something else. Because we've never crossed under the golden arches, I'm not competing with nuggets at the dinner table. The only breaded chicken we've had is Chicken Scallopini with Lemon, Artichokes and Capers and Chicken with Roasted Tomatoes, Goat Cheese and Pesto.

But, according to statistics, those damned statistics, nearly one-third or more of our children's calories are consumed outside the home. Half of these meals are from restaurants and fast food restaurants. The majority of our nation's preschoolers and younger will eat at McDonald's at least once each month.

Given this, I figured it was time to answer Amy of Shaping Youth's challenge to build a better nugget. It's pretty easy, you actually start with chicken. Which helps, a lot.

You also do a baked nugget instead of fried. Oh, but the crunch, how about the crunch? It's true, the baked version just never seems to have the delicious crunch you get from fried. However, you can have that light, crisp crunch without the heavy, greasiness.

Golden-Crisp Chicken Nuggets


Now, I need to make up a few dipping sauces. Pesto is a good candidate. Just don't look for a drive-thru window outside our kitchen anytime soon!

This post is part of the Carnival of Family Life, hosted this week by Diary of One.

5 comments:

rachel said...

that looks awesome! I'm going to give it a go (without the egg, of course)!

The Expatriate Chef said...

You could probably just use all yogurt and still get good results. Let me know how it goes.

Tara said...

Great job coming up with a healthier version of the chicken nugget. I'm not a mom, but I know many that have kids that will only eat these things! So this recipe I'm sure would come in handy for them. I also get a craving for nostalgic food from my youth - and this would really help me hit the spot! Now, can you come up with a health fish stick next?

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Nuggets are such a great idea. I have a nephew who lives on them (not that I'm advocating that!).

JHS said...

Sound delicious! Will have to try this.

Thanks for participating in this week's Carnival of Family Life, hosted at Diary of 1!!