Sunday, January 13, 2008

Passion Fruit



This week (or next) our experiment with new fruit will continue with passion fruit. Look for a heavier fruit when you purchase. The fruit will also be very wrinkled when it is ready to eat.

The last new one we tried was a pommelo. It is the predecesor to grapefruit. Not nearly as tart or juicy, or as sweet at the ruby red variety. I was a bit disappointed with that one. Even though the fruit looks huge, the rind is nearly an inch thick. You end up with about the same amount of fruit as an average grapefruit. Interesting, but not sexy.

Passion fruit? Well, that one just has to be sexy. Plus, I kind of like the idea of something named "passion" that's at its best with a few wrinkles.

6 comments:

Melinda said...

We have a passion fruit vine. The flowers - tres sexy. They're beautiful, and they have amazing sexual organs. ; )

The Expatriate Chef said...

Now, that is sexy. :)

rachel said...

I'm planning on planting passionfruit vines in our backyard next year (you need one male and one female to get fruit - even sexier!). I love passionfruit pulp in anything - my current brekkie fav is plain Greek yogurt with homemade mueseli and passionfruit pulp. Soooo good. The only downside - the seeds, but they can be strained out.

I'm thinking of a passionfruit granita...

Carina said...

Hey! I love passionfruit...we have a vine growing as shade over our back patio. It's a grafted one...and you don't need two vines for fruit on this sort. No straining the seeds!! You just crunch them up! They're tasty...and good for sexual frustration... :)

My personal favorite is a good Aussie pavlova with passionfruit pulp on top. Yum.

rachel said...

what's the breed there, Carina? I'd love to grow a vine without those seeds!

I love, love, love pavlova with my heart and soul. Sadly, because of the meringue base, it's not a treat I get to indulge in often as it's hard to tell Jess that she can't have something we can have...

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I agree with the pommelo. They're so impressive visually, but usually the taste doesn't live up to the hype. As for passion fruit--ahhhh... sublime.