Thursday, January 24, 2008

Meatball Stroganoff

Kids love meatballs. Who am I kidding? We all love meatballs. Not sure why, but there's just something about them, especially the little ones. Naturally, where there are meatballs, there must be noodles, which also top the kid-friendly list.

I enlisted both of these allies to help sell the dijon mustard, cognac and mushrooms that comprise the rest of the dish. The end result is an easy, classic dish that appeals to the whole family; the meatball loving kiddos, and the adults who claim to love the sophistication of shiitake mushrooms, herbs and shallot — but really just love the meatballs.

Meatball Stroganoff
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

9 comments:

Her Grace said...

Oh how I wish I could eat mushrooms, but sadly, am allergic.

Stroganoff is a big hit in our house. I use my great-grandmother's recipe which uses ground beef (we use turkey), but I may have to try meatballs next time.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I began eating meat several months ago after nearly 19 years of being a vegetarian. Long story....
While I still don't eat many meats, my taste for meatballs apparently remained intact. Oh, my, that first meatball I tasted was oh-so-good after all that time. This is a great recipe that my husband would really love. Thanks for the idea!

mpg said...

Ooh, this looks really good. I'm putting this on the list for the week - it's just me and the kiddoes for a while and I think they will love this!

The Expatriate Chef said...

Thanks, it was a two-helping dish for the kiddo. Gotta love meatballs.

Laser hair removal said...

Meatballs can be dressed up with just about anything. Sweet, sour or spicy. We have Mexican meatballs at our place. The kids love them. Thanks for the recipe.

Sales Training said...

You can't go too far wrong with meatballs. They are cheap, tasty and reasonably healthy.

RSA online said...

My kids love mini-meatballs with tomato sauce. Just chopped onion, mince, breadcrumbs and egg all mooshed together, rolled into little balls and pan fried. Serve in a bowl and eat with a toothpick.

Business for Sale said...

Kids seem to love meatballs. Lamb is also a nice base as a change from beef. It's just as healthy, is a little bit cheaper and seems to have less fat. Nice recipe. A Stumble and Furl for your efforts :)

Expatriate Chef said...

Thank you! I love to be stumbled.

We like lamb around our house. Funny to see the kiddo gnawing on a shank that's been braised in red wine. It's really good. Great suggestion.

I would likely take the spice in the meatball more Mediterranean then. Add couscous, tomato base sauce ... mmm.