Monday, January 28, 2008

Hmmm, More Winter Squash



We started the winter with about 200 lbs. of winter squash and sweet potatoes. I got a bit crazy at the farmers market's last days. I just don't know how to let go. Surprisingly, the sixty-odd pounds of squash we still have is still edible. I'm just running low on ideas.

A friend at work read my blog and sent this recipe to the rescue. It uses a whole, small pumpkin all at once. And, you use the pumpkin itself for the baking vessel. Pretty impressive for company.

I wish I knew who to credit (he did not give the recipe author's name) but here is the dish:

I am going to call it Cheesy-Bread-Baked Pumpkin or Roasted Whole Pumpkin with Gruyere or ... just good.

Ingredients:

  • 1 5-pound cooking pumpkin
  • 1/2 pound French or Italian country-style bread
  • 1 cup crème fraiche
  • 6 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Method:

Rinse the outside of the pumpkin and wipe dry. Using a sharp knife, and cutting at a slight angle so that the angle of the knife is tipped downward into the vegetable, cut off the top 1/4 of the pumpkin to form a lid. With a large spoon, scrape out the seeds.

Cut the bread into thin slices and toast until golden brown. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Line the pumpkin cavity with one layer of the bread, spread with 4 tablespoons of the crème fraiche, 1/4 of the cheese, and a generous sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper. Continue layering (4 layers in all), finishing with the Gruyere. Set the top back on the pumpkin.

Cut a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the entire pumpkin. Brush the pumpkin lightly with the oil. Wrap the pumpkin with the foil and place on a baking pan. Set in the oven and bake for about 1 hour and 40 minutes. The pumpkin is done when the skin has softened and a sharp knife can easily pierce through to the interior flesh.

Remove from the oven, discard the foil and place the pumpkin on a serving platter. Carefully remove the lid and stir the interior mixture, making sure to incorporate the pumpkin into the other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

11 comments:

Bonnie @ AZhttp said...

Your site has won a Blog of the Day Award (BOTDA)



Award Code



Thank you,



famous quotes

Melinda said...

YUM. I've been cooking up a storm lately, using mostly winter squash and meyer lemons from the garden. I'll add this recipe to my list to try!

Anonymous said...

I'm that friend at work and my source is a good friend Maura I met while she was in Kansas attempting to live the 20th century version of Little House on the Prairie with her husband Bob. They have since returned to their roots, NY - where she lives with Bob and her son, Truth.

Rachel said...

OHHH, MYYYYY GOOOOOD that looks so tasty. Ohhhh, mommy. I'm definitely going to return to this recipe in about six months when my mini-pumpkins are harvesting!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a squash lasagna? I use a lightened up bechamel (1/2 2%, 1/2 stock) with whatever herbs are around, and some fresh mozz. Super yum. One of my husbands favorites. (It's also good with roasted mushrooms in it--if you're a mushroom person, which I totally, unabashedly, AM.)

Rachel said...

re: squash lasagna. Question - do you use the squash in place of the pasta sheets or with pasta sheets? Please forgive the ignorant question!

tut-tut said...

Sounds great! I'm always looking for something to do with squash. Ditto root veg.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

Use no-boil pasta sheets between layers. Usually takes me about 45 min to bake it at 375. Start with a layer of the bechamel on the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.

Lynn from organicmania.com said...

Wow! I wish I had seen this recipe back when I was getting 2 pumpkins a week from my CSA! Now I'll know for next year!

Dazy said...

Just wanted to tell you that I made this for Valentines Day and it was amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe, it is one we will be enjoying again and again!

Anonymous said...

as far as attribution.....very similar to recipe from gourmet magazine, created my ruth reichl, from perhaps october 08. she stuffed her pumpkin with buguette and shredded gruyere and emmenthaler, then covered it with broth and cream before roasting. we make it every halloween. it's delicious.