Sunday, December 09, 2007

Not "Too Spicy" Lamb Stew

It's the randomness of trying to please our little diners that gets frustrating. The same child who happily gnaws on a curry chicken kabob and begs for candied ginger, next turns that button nose up at a bit of cayenne with a simple, "Too Spicy." Too spicy means heat, but not-too-spicy can have flavor and quite a bit of spice.

There are always surprises. Such as seeing your little one gnaw away on a braised lamb shank happily, and getting asked a second time for more broccoli when you forgot the request. There are bad surprises as well. A whole plate of favorite foods that does not even get a nibble.

It's all pretty random, but sometimes there is a pattern, it just takes months sometimes to see it. So it was, in arriving at how to spice a Moroccan-inspired lamb stew. I do not say "Moroccan." Because it is not, and I would have a long way to go (in fact all the way to Morocco) to understand the food before I could cook it. But, the recipe has some nice depth to it, without heat. We prepared it together, the three of us, little on standing on a chair between us as mom and dad did the chopping and slicing.

Not "Too Spicy" Lamb Stew
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

2 comments:

rachel said...

that sounds really yummy, Beth. I'm totally kicking myself that I never went to Morocco when over in Europe - I cook with a lot of the same spices, but also hesitate to call it Moroccan, although I'm totally gonna buy a tajine as soon as the Christmas sales hit.

The Expatriate Chef said...

I would like one of those, too! Too much in the kitchen already!