Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Weekend Herb Blogging: Parsley and Squash



The Battle of Orange Food seems to be a foregone conclusion, victory — most of the time — to the chef. I’m not crediting my cooking skills as much as I would say persistence. Near-obsessive persistence. With the Kiddo requesting multiple helpings of carrot soufflĂ© and sweet potato fries, I could probably back off. I could, but there is the small problem of nearly 100 lbs. of pumpkin, squash and sweet potatoes still lurking.

Like something out of Edgar Allen Poe, I find myself haunted by visions of the Red Warty Thing, all 30 lbs. of its lumpy, russet mass daring me to pick up a chef’s knife and do something about it. It may take something more like a hacksaw to breach that rind, though. So, I opted for a couple of its small cousins instead.

It’s nice to have local produce still around and a freezer of meat for the months ahead. I will miss the fresh greens and abundance of summer, but we’re still as local as we can get for the off-season. Kiddo even woke up heartbroken last weekend missing the market. I’ll be trying to keep her distracted with Christmas events and baking.

In case you think I have lost my mind, (or more of it), that IS a monkey plate garnished with chopped parsley and orange slices. I’ve been trying to up the presentation factor for the Kiddo’s plate to see if it makes a difference. The leering primate kind of detracts a bit from the overall effect, but I do what I can. Which is, in this case, Pork and Carrot Risotto with Parmesan served in a half Acorn Squash. Kiddo gets regular helpings of Chicken and Rice “casserole” at school. I thought it was time she had the real thing. She liked it.






Winter Risotto

Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

4 comments:

Simona said...

I love the half-eye of the "leering primate" peering from under the squash, as if trying to look at what's obscuring its field of view. I am glad your risotto creation was a success.

Laurie Constantino said...

Interesting idea to serve the risotto in the squash, also the pork in the risotto. Was particularly fun to read this as we had carrot and sage risotto last night!

Gay Carrillo said...

I've never had a risotto before, this makes crave for it and make one for the holidays.

Kalyn said...

Love the monkey plate! I also like the idea of serving the risotto in the squash.