Monday, November 19, 2007

Local Thanksgiving

We just got a call from our CSA farmer. Due to the odd weather, he's got a bag of goodies for us just in time for Thanksgiving. This means upping the local ingredient quota for the menu. I'll be adding a salad and a cauliflower and chard gratin to the table. So far, the locally-sourced ingredients for our meal will include:

Greens, Cauliflower, Turkey, Eggs, Milk, Cream, Butter, Pork Sausage, Sage, Corn, Cornmeal, Bread, Honey, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Green Beans. I wish the apples were local, and the cider, but the freeze just ruined all the fruit crops this year. Still, much of the meal will be sourced locally, and I feel pretty good about that.

I'm thinking we have it waaaay easier than the pilgrims did this time of year.

The final menu will be:
Apple-Cider Brined Turkey with Maple-Sage Reduction
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato Souffle
Green Beans with Roasted Tomatoes and Shallot
Cauliflower and Chard Gratin (recipe in the works)
Bread
Pork Sausage, Apple and Sage Cornbread Dressing
Cranberry-Applesauce (recipe in the works)
Vanilla-Sweet Potato Pie with Pecan Brown Sugar Crust
Maple Pumpkin Pie (Epicurious, but I may modify)
Apple Tart with Red Wine Caramel and Gorgonzola

Then, the recipes for leftovers begin! What's kicking around in my head right now is a sort of turkey pot pie that is hand held like a calzone. Great for lunch boxes, and easy to freeze. Also, an upscale turkey and noodles.

5 comments:

jen said...

i want pictures. and i might need a 1-800 number for the stuffing (the recipe i am trying myself)

kidding. i'll pull through.

foodperson said...

Sounds delicious. I guess I'm lazy; I always default to turkey noodle soup and turkey sandwiches for my leftovers.

p.s. Wondering why you don't allow comments using ID other than Google like lots of other Blogger users.

The Expatriate Chef said...

I changed the setting, thanks!

Jen, wish you were coming to dinner. I sent you my number just in case you do need anything!

Rachel said...

like your idea of a turkey pasty - it should work a treat. Depending on how much gravy you want to use, you could opt for either a flaky crust or something more sturdy (I would go for a really sturdy crust and be true to the original purpose of a pasty. Plus it'll keep things from going soggy before lunch).

I once did a tour of a gold mine in country Victoria (Bendigo, if you want specifics). The fella who gave the tour was telling us about detail and such - apparently at the turn of the 20th century, the lunch of choice was a pasty - one half filled with meat and veg, and the other filled with pie filling. Apparently, wives would build two chambers into the pasty crust, bake them together and, because of the thicker crust, the thing would still be warm at lunchtime!

Don't forget the bones for turkey stock. Hmmmmm.... I love a good supply of stock in my freezer.

The Expatriate Chef said...

You are amazing, Rachel! One of these days, we'll make it over to Oz to see you and some other old friends that way!