Friday, October 12, 2007

Real Oatmeal

I used to eat those little packages of instant oatmeal. I know, sad, but true. Then my husband saw Alton Brown's Good Eats episode on steel cut oats, and our breakfast quality took a sharp upward turn. I liked what I thought was oatmeal. But I really like real oatmeal. Kind of like grassfed milk and pastured chicken; once you have the real thing, you can't go back.

My husband makes the version of the steel cut oats that goes in the slow cooker the night before. He makes this about twice a week, so often that our child refers to the slow cooker as "oatmeal pot." We buy very little processed cereal and eat this instead. I will try to duplicate his recipe, and let him correct me in the comments.

Slow Cooker Oatmeal
1 cup steel cut oats
2/3 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup dried blueberries
2/3 cup dried cherries
4 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half or cream


Mix all of this together in the slow cooker. Set to low and cook about 8-9 hours. Mix and serve. I like mine with a bit of yogurt on top. It won't need sugar, the dried fruit adds sweetness and flavor.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

what a great idea. I love oatmeal myself, but am not liking cooking it on the hob or (horror, horror) in the microwave.

I'm wondering if I can use our rice cooker for this. (don't have a slow-cooker yet, but maybe that's next on the cards...) I'm inspired!!

Korinthe said...

What size cooker? I think our 4-5 qt one would be too big for just one person's oatmeal :(

katiez said...

Interesting idea, doing it in a slow cooker. Of course, I don't have one so it can only be interesting.
The only oatmeal we can get here is tiny, thin flakes and cooks really fast so it's really not necessary.... It's undoubtedly not as good as steel-cut, probably a lot mushier...but it's still damn good on cold mornings. You've made me very hungry for oatmeal....

The Expatriate Chef said...

The big cooker. It keeps in the fridge for a few days and you can reheat it in the microwave.

mamagotcha said...

Dangit. I love doing this, but our cooker is JUST a little too hot at the lowest setting, and overnight is JUST a little too long to leave it... so it burns. I've tried with extra water, but it still does it (and the stuff on top is too thin, to boot). Maybe I just have a crappy slow cooker...

Rachel said...

I reckon I might have a go with this recipe in a solar cooker. I've downloaded a MacGuyver-esque plan to build one using boxes and foil. I think this would be a perfect slow-cook meal for the cooker.

BoyNamedSous said...

Recipe is close, but I use 1 cup (scant) each of blueberries & cherries. And a handful of cranberries. It should be approx. 2 cups of dried fruit to 1 cup of oatmeal. A heavy hand with the cream doesn't hurt, either.

Be warned, once you go this route you'll have a tough time with instant.