Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Rodent in the Kitchen

I'm just as guilty as the next person of loving Pixar and Disney's movies, I just hate all the crap that gets created to go along with the movies. Especially the junk food and Happy Meal toys. Until now. Now I have just a tiny shred of hope.

See, while it would not surprise me if a rat showed up in a Happy Meal, it would be truly off-brand if Pixar's gourmet rodent-du-jour turned up in a fast food bag. That would be well, wrong. Hideous. Not out of the realm of possibility as evidenced by proposing junk food shill Shrek to push physical fitness, but I am more optimistic on Ratatouille and Pixar.

I have not seen the movie. I have seen the merchandise which includes a line of cooking tools and a cookbook for kids. The cookbook foreword was written by Thomas Keller (French Laundry) who was a consultant for the movie.

The merchandise will also include a line of Ratatouille-branded wines and gourmet cheese plates, and upscale tableware. However, the merchandise team was smart enough not be elitist-only. Ratatouille wares will also be available at Wal-Mart, which will help extend the brand of "cooking" to a wide audience of kids.

In a culture where movies offer so much influence over our kids, Ratouille may just be a menu for change. I hope so.

But, and Disney please heed this, if the rat shows up at the drive-thru, I will be twice as angry and disappointed as before.

1 comment:

Kailani said...

My daughter keeps bugging me to see this movie. It does look pretty entertaining!

BTW, could you email me your email address? I'll be sending you the carnival submissions soon. Thank you!

familyblogcarnival@gmail.com

Kailani
An Island Life