Thursday, June 28, 2007

Mac and Cheese (and Broccoli)



Had my child been eating solids before she started talking, I am positive her first word would have been "cheese" and not "Mommy." So, no big surprise that she is in love with that all-time classic of kid food, Mac n' cheese — well, at least the non-pureed kind. Her first introduction was dubious at best, and, well, I don't think that stuff in the jar really counts.

In all honesty, I try to avoid making the mac just because I want to expand my little one's palate. Then last weekend I found myself with more green onions and yet another head of broccoli from the CSA bag (and two more in the fridge now, and a head of rapini I just cooked with garlic, white beans and sausage). Around here, we eat our broccoli. And, our green onions, and cheese. It was inevitable that all of them would end up in the same dish with a bit of meat and pasta for an easy one-pot meal.

There are just three of us here, but the rather large casserole dish of this recipe was gone by end of weekend. Gone. The great thing about this is that the cheese sauce is made with low fat milk and vegetable broth instead of cream.

Ham and Broccoli Mac 'n Cheese
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

Appearing in Kid-friendly recipe carnival this week.

1 comment:

Mike & Misty said...

I didn't know there was nitrate free ham!