Tuesday, May 22, 2007

More Contaminated Product from China

From the New York Times:

"Authorities in the Dominican Republic said they seized 36,000 tubes of toothpaste suspected of containing diethylene glycol, an industrial solvent and prime ingredient in some antifreeze. Included were tubes of toothpaste marketed for children with bubble gum and strawberry flavors sold under the name of “Mr. Cool Junior.”

Toothpaste containing the toxic solvent was also found in Panama and Australia in the last week."

The contaminant is the same counterfeit glycerin that was in the recent cough syrup incidents that killed hundreds of children. You can read the full article here.

3 comments:

HenrysMom said...

In addition to this scary stuff, I wonder why toothpaste of any kind, for kids or adults, should have dyes in it? I want my teeth to be white, not blue or green. Tom's of Maine, here we come. Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading your blog, even though I have a son whose vegetable consumption consists solely of the pea-carrot-corn frozen mix from the bag. How this happened I do not know as his father and I eat broadly and he loves our weekly trip to the farmer's market. My only goal when I was pregnant was to have a kid who would eat his sandwich crusts. Which he does. Perhaps I should have aimed higher!

The Expatriate Chef said...

You know, I think he'll grow into the veggies with your influence! Good luck and thanks for stopping by!

frugalmom said...

Already using the Tom's! Why, oh why must we have to go thru this so often. It seems like it is happening more and more these days.