Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reasons to Buy Local: USDA's Crazy Chicken Dance

Under the heading of things that make you go "What the hell?!" is this latest headline from the wisdom of the USDA. New rulings will allow us to import chicken from China. Yes, China where there are outbreaks of Bird Flu that have cost human lives, 29 outbreaks already this year.

To make matters more confusing, the USDA is proposing sending the chickens to China for processing, then importing them back from after processing and this is CHEAPER than processing the chickens here. How is a round trip to China for poultry that is grown here cheaper than processing the birds here? Especially when the poultry industry already produces chicken under questionable conditions in order to keep prices down.

You have to wonder if the USDA has our health and safety in mind when you read things like this. This is an organization the is supposed to protect the quality and safety of our food supply.

It just makes no sense. I'll be looking for my chickens at a local farm, where I can watch the processing if I choose to. It won't require a passport for me or the chickens.

Read more on the story here.

4 comments:

Alison said...

I am loving this site! You've got the buy-local angle, the 30-second-with-toddler-on-hip angle, AND you know how to cook! Can't beat it. I'm blogrolling you, and I'll be coming back for more!

The Expatriate Chef said...

Wow, thanks. I am happy you found something useful here! Is this Ali of Cleaner Plate? Either way, welcome and glad to have you stop by!

Frugal Mom said...

Love the blog. Love that it has healthy recipes and good info on natural food!!!

The Expatriate Chef said...

Thanks frugal mom! Glad you stopped by.