Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Soup Kitchen

Every fall, my husband and I open what we have come to call “The Soup Kitchen.” It started out as just making a few extra quarts, okay nine or so, of favorite soups and taking them to friends who were sick, or busy, or just in need of some comfort food.

This past fall, the Soup Kitchen adopted a very busy friend who tends to burn the candle at both ends, and another friend who, at 60, is going through an unpleasant divorce and a battle with prostate cancer. He is winning and currently cancer-free.

The success of the Soup Kitchen has been overwhelming. Over time, we even started getting requests for certain soups that were favorites. I also had to impose the Tupperware law; you must return your empty, clean containers or “No soup for you!”

With the arrival of the holidays, we decided the best way to celebrate would be to open up the Soup Kitchen to all. Last count, we have around 20 people showing up at some time Christmas Eve to join us for a warm bowl of holiday cheer.

The following is the most requested Soup Kitchen recipe. One I have guarded carefully, okay, well, I couldn’t give it out as I lost the recipe I created and have had to recreate it. It feeds a lot of people. Don’t worry, it freezes well, and it’s so good, you’ll want to have a lot of it. This is the first recipe I thought of when I started Taute Cuisine and logging recipes to hand down to my daughter.

Wedding Soup
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

Enjoy. Wishing you all the comfort and joy of the holiday season.

3 comments:

fatguyonalittlebike said...

I'm curious if you can think of a substitute for veal. I don't currently have access to a sustainably/humanely raised veal source. I could just do a little more of the hamburger and pork but was curious if you knew of something else first.

Thanks

The Expatriate Chef said...

Sure, just use poultry for the light veal taste, or double the bison. I believe I forget one pinch of fresh grated nutmeg in the meatball section.

Happy Holidays!

seat said...

Let me try this recipe!