Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Holidays in "The Kitchen"



What's cookin' in the kitchen for Christmas ... well, with a toddler running around, our first bout of the season with stomach flu and head colds, not much. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas kind of exploded in a few places around the house, but that's about it.

Never fear, I'll get there. I'm good with deadlines. With a formal dinner, soup party for nearly 20 and a brunch less than a week away, I am going to have to be. Coughing all the way.

The good news is that Battle Orange has been won. To celebrate, a few of my favorite orange dishes will grace the table. The first is Carrot Souffle. I love this, you can find it on the Cooking Light web site. The other dish I first started working on with the Eat Local challenge, you can read more on that in the posts "Beeten into Submission," and "The Beet Goes On." I was looking for an option to green salads when fresh lettuces went out of season. And, the spinach contamination issue was still going on, so bagged lettuce was off the menu.

I know, many people are not beet fans. But this dish is different. These are not canned pickled beets. Besides, with a traditional table landscape of turkey, stuffing, gravy and potatoes, this dish is a veritable island of color in a sea of brown. Remember, Santa is watching. You should eat your vegetables.

Red, Gold and Orange Festive Salad
Looking for this recipe? It will be included in my upcoming book co-authored with Ali of Cleaner Plate Club!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

This recipe sounds wonderful. I love beets and am always looking for new ways to serve them. Like your site, BTW, found it from a link you included with a comment at Chocolate & Zucchini. I love finding new food blogs, gives the same great feeling as discovering a new restaurant!

The Expatriate Chef said...

Hey, thanks. Let me know how you liked the recipe and if you would make changes. I love feedback. Thanks for stopping by!