Friday, July 29, 2005

Jelly Beans and Wine

I can't fathom putting those two items together on a menu, but there it is. A friend sent along an article that explains how a wine site uses jelly bean "recipes" to help people understand all the flavors that make up a varietal of wine. Want to try it? Check it out here: WineX Magazine.

I was pretty intrigued when I saw some time ago that Jelly Belly started making jelly beans that taste like such items as dirt and grass (for a Harry Potter tie in). They also have such flavors as vomit and earthworm, and I am praying those are not flavors that are useful for wine flavors. Though, I have had some wines that might qualify. I was young. They had a screw top. I have learned. Fortunately, I lived to try real wine.

Now, the "grass" and "dirt" beans have a practical application giving that depth to certain recipes that imitate a wine. For example, a New Zealand Sauvingnon Blanc has 4 Grass-flavored Jelly Bellies in it's recipe.

Here's the Jelly Belly recipe for a generic, unoaked Zinfandel is as follows:
2 raspberry, 1 cherry, 1 strawberry, 1 blackberry, 1 blueberry, 1 pepper, 1 plum, 1 licorice and 1 Dr. Pepper.

For an oaked and manipulated Zin, add 1 French Vanilla, 1 Cinnamon, 1 Chocolate to the above.

I have to try this. The kits are expensive, but a trip to Mr. Bulky's should prove just as easy and a lot cheaper. Just when I thought there was NOTHING that could convince me to go to a mall.

Just reviewing the recipes themselves really help you visualize the flavors. The web site presentation could be better (occupational hazard from my "real" job), but the content of this site is fantastic.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Interesting theory. I never could get the hang of tasting hints of fruit in wine. Maybe jellybeans would help.